In the content creator’s ecosystem today, the degree to which artificial intelligence has permeated every aspect is quite remarkable. In this intricate web of creativity, the role of AI is evolving into a formidable ally, capable of amplifying creators’ ability to innovate, connect and engage with an audience like never before.
There’s no denying the growing prominence of the creator economy. Recent estimates suggest nearly one in four people consider themselves a content creator, amounting to more than 200 million worldwide, per Linktree. With an estimated 4.2 billion social media users worldwide, the potential audience for content is more substantial than ever.
Even with the vast number of creators competing for attention, all voices have the chance to stand out, to cater to a particular niche and share their unique perspective with the world. Consider two-thirds of creators (67%) have between 1,000 and 10,000 followers, demonstrating that one doesn’t need millions of followers to make an impact. Likewise, 66% pursue their craft part-time, reinforcing that content creation can start as a passion project or side hustle that grows over time.
The creator economy still has immense potential to grow. Goldman Sachs Research projected the creator economy to nearly double its market size to $480 billion by 2027, driven by numerous factors including AI-powered recommendation engines.
AI’s role in the creator economy is destined to become even more pivotal with the rise of generative AI software. Some creators report they’re already using AI technology for tasks including editing content (21%), generating images and videos (21%), captioning (19%) and/or brainstorming ideas (15%), according to an April survey of 660 U.S.-based creators from the Influencer Marketing Factory.
So how can creators prepare for this AI-driven future? A critical first step is immersing oneself in AI’s potential and limitations. Creators need to understand the array of tools available and how to integrate them effectively into their content creation process.
As the technology advances, they’ll need to embrace experimentation and be open to learning and adapting even more than before. And the adaptive process won’t be about replacing human creativity with AI but rather about leveraging AI to amplify that creativity.
For the small-scale creator, AI presents an opportunity to streamline the content creation process and rapidly improve production quality. Bigger picture, AI has the potential to democratize the content creation landscape, allowing even those with a smaller following to produce high-quality content and find their audience. Large-scale creators, on the other hand, can harness the power of AI to optimize content, streamline its distribution, guide more efficient tailoring of content and maximize reach and engagement.
For both large-scale creators and the long tail of creators with smaller followings, we advise a few strategies for implementing existing and newly emerging AI tools.
- Experiment with AI tools: Don’t shy away from the technology. AI can aid in various tasks, from brainstorming ideas to editing content to generating engaging visuals.
- Understand your audience: Use AI tools to analyze viewer interactions and trends. AI-driven analytics can help to understand your audience on a deeper level, enabling you to create content that resonates more truthfully and effectively with your followers.
- Automate where possible: Use AI to automate time-consuming tasks. This not only saves time but allows one to focus on strategy and creative processes. Check every step in your process, and ask if there is a technology that solves it faster or better.
- Stay informed and up to date: AI technology evolves at a breakneck speed. Keep abreast of the latest developments to maximize your content’s impact.
- Stay ethical: As you deal with vast amounts of data, bear in mind the importance of data privacy and responsible AI usage.
We stand on the brink of a transformative era in the creator economy, where the future truly belongs to those who are forward-thinking, adaptable and tech-savvy.
Arthur Mamedov is CEO of TheSoul Publishing, a global digital content studio and publisher whose channels reach 2 billion subscribers on social media platforms globally. TheSoul Platform, a creator services arm offering production tools for creators, is actively implementing internally and externally developed AI solutions on its own publishing properties as well as third-party content.